The Granny Evolution ….
The First Group to call themselves “Raging Grannies” sprouted in the winter of 1986-87 in Victoria, B.C.. A group of women concerned about nuclear powered and nuclear armed vessels coming in to Canadian waters decided to get their message across by singing protest songs, dressing up in uniquely designed and eye-catching hats and garb. They continued to sing satirical songs to protest against nuclear submarines, uranium mining, nuclear power, militarism, racism, clear-cut logging, and corporate greed. Occasionally, they were arrested but never taken to court.
New Raging Grannies groups quickly sprang up clear across Canada, all the way to Halifax, Nova Scotia, as well as in the United States. Each group responds to their individual community needs and varied issues by revising the lyrics of familiar tunes.
The Calgary Raging Grannies
- formed in July 1998
- are non-partisan, but politically astute
- perform peaceful protest, working for the many and not the few
- accept donations but also perform for free for good causes
Skills and qualities of a Raging Granny
- sense of humour
- willingness to make noise
- passion, joy, delight and kindness
- critical thinker
- curious, especially about science
- awareness of history and our place in it
- commitment to democratic decision making
Grannies don’t have to have great voices, or even carry a tune!
If you are interested in joining us, please either email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Or go to our Facebook page and message us from their https://www.facebook.com/Calgary-Raging-Grannies-149773808411499/